Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Favorite Friend: Blair Stocker of Wise Craft Handmade

How is it possible that we haven't featured Blair Stocker on our Favorite Friends series?? Blair has been an Assemble role model and pal since the very beginning! A quilter and handmade guru by trade, Blair's blog and new book, Wise Craft: Turning Thrift Store Finds, Fabric Scraps, and Natural Objects Into Stuff You Love are a great source for projects that any level crafter can accomplish. Plus, she's one of the nicest ladies we know! We adore her and we know that you will too:


•••

You have been a craft blogger for quite a while and have recently added "author" to your resume! Tell us about your new book, Wise Craft: Turning Thrift Store Finds, Fabric Scraps, and Natural Objects Into Stuff You Love.
Wise Craft is all about telling your family's story throughout your home with all kinds of handmade projects. There are 60 projects in the book, divided by four seasonal chapters, spanning hand crafts like quilting, crochet, knitting, and other unexpected ways to DIY your home. My hope in writing this book is that those who don't necessarily feel crafty, or aren't sure where to start will find color and project inspiration inside the pages. The book shows how I use repurposed, thrifted materials to make entirely new, beautiful things for the home.


Was there anything about the publishing process that surprised you? Did you enjoy it?
I loved the publishing process. It was challenging, no doubt, and there was so much to learn along the way, but I had an agent and editor who were incredibly helpful and supportive. The timeline allowed me to keep focused in my studio (I can tend to wander creatively) and really dig deep into what I love to do, make things!

What is your favorite project in the book?
There are so many favorites! I love the quilt projects at the end of each chapter. Quilt making is a passion of mine. But I also love the projects that peaked the interest of my husband, Peter, and son, Ian, like the leather-wrapped rocks.


Do you have any new projects coming up?

I may have started a new book proposal, I am also teaching projects from my book in Seattle and Portland. I will be teaching a class at Schoolhouse Craft Conference in September on writing a book proposal. I am also a regular contributor to the Creativebug blog.

What is your favorite aspect of the work that you do?
I love the actual creating and sewing part of my job. There is really nothing more satisfying than having a whole work day ahead of me to sew, or create something new.


What would you change if you could?
As great as it is to be your own boss, it can be incredibly frustrating. I'd love to hire out all the business-related tasks.

What is your dream job besides what you are doing now?
Actually I think I'm doing my dream job! I truly love what I do, making things with my hands will always be a passion. Working from home, I have the flexibility to be with my kids often. I love the ability to do what I love, and be present with the people that I love, at the same time.

If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Cake. Any kind. Every day.

Dream vacation?
Japan with my husband. He and I both love traveling there, but have never been there together.

And finally, who are your role models in business?
My business role model is Denyse Schmidt. She has a focused aesthetic, a wonderfully keen sense of color, and is well respected for what she does. She has made a living creating beautiful quilts and fabric.

In life?
I think my role model in life is more of a combination of important people I've known and the qualities they have.

•••

Thank you, Blair! Visit Blair's website, Wise Craft Handmade, and follow her on Twitter, Facebook or sign up for her newsletter.

Photos courtesy Blair Stocker of Wise Craft.
Blogging tips